Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Author Interview: Pam Withers

I met Pam Withers through SCBWI last year and am encouraged by her enthusiasm and passion for writing. If you haven't already, I recommend checking out her high action books for teens. And keep an eye out for her new series coming out in the Spring of 2011!

On Writing:


Favorite thing about writing a first draft:
If I've been gathering information and thoughts and plotlines and character sketches for weeks or months beforehand, it's like a giant, satisfying release to just sit down and let all that spill out, to enjoy the actual writing as a reward for the hard work of preparing for the writing.

Best thing about writing for kids and/or teens:
Knowing that I'm encouraging them to read. And getting invited to schools to do presentations about my work.


One word that describes your path to publication:
Niche. (Writing adventure for boys seemed to be the key.)

If I could have two dream careers, I?d be an author and a:
psychologist (Authors have to get into all the characters' heads. Shrinks also have to get into people's heads.)

On Life:


If I could snap my fingers and solve one of the problems here on
earth, it would be:

More support for at-risk children and their parents.

Best thing about being a child:
Being able to daydream.

Worst thing about being a child:
Being talked down to and bullied.

Best thing about being a teenager:
Summer camp.

Worst thing about being a teenager:
Not having the nerve to talk to members of the opposite sex.

Most memorable teen moment:
Getting an A-plus in English class for my essay on "How to get the car off your dad to go joy-riding," only to learn that the teacher mentioned it to my father!

A quote I live by:
Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing!
- Helen Keller

My dream vacation:
Cabin in the woods.

In My Perfect World:


Everyone would get sufficient time with their parents at least once a
week. There would be an abundance of joy and fun. No one would be deprived of positive role models or respect. Every child would have a loving parent or guardian. No one would ever lack good books or the motivation to read them, and they'd be free for everyone.

To learn more about Pam and her books, click to her website: http://www.takeittotheextreme.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think: