Sunday, July 10, 2016

Adapting to Culture--Or Not...

So last weekend I attended a Timorese backyard going away party for some expat friends who are returning to Australia. It was my first party of this sort. Everyone brought heaps of food and as people of all ages arrived, everyone mingled. But then I began to observe something that startled me. All the girls and women migrated to one side of the yard while the men and boys took seats on the other side. I was tired and not feeling very sociable and just wanted to relax with my Timorese fiancé. But I didn't want to offend anyone. I asked him if it was okay to stay where I was. He put his arm around me. I took that as a yes and stayed put. Then it was time to eat. Women first. Which is not the cultural norm. It's just the way it is amongst my peeps. I asked and was told that the norm is men first. Still I felt odd eating while my fiancé waited. The guys didn't go get food until the gals were finished. I tried not to judge, but I must admit--I was a bit bothered. And another thing was bothering me. 

One of the things I noticed right away when I moved here five months ago is that all the women and girls have gorgeous long hair that they wear pulled back in a tight bun. It's hot and humid, but none of them have short hair. I asked a young friend why that was. She just shrugged. I had been thinking of cutting my long hair because of the heat and I was tired of always wearing it "up". So over the weekend I cut it short. And when I arrived at a meeting with my Timorese friends today, my teenage girlfriends looked at me a bit shocked and kept touching my short hair. None of them said anything. No one else did either. The big test, I suppose, will come tomorrow morning when I meet up with my Timorese fiancé who was out-of-town this weekend. I'm curious how he will react. This can be a big deal to men, regardless of culture, right? I've told him many times that even though I am doing my best to adapt to this culture, I can never become a Timorese woman. Cutting my hair is just one of the many tests of this cross cultural relationship adventure. 
Three of my beautiful teenage friends

39 comments:

  1. I liked your blog very muchDigital MarketingBy the next afternoon I'm kissing on the bit to bring it back. This is a great blogspot theme, where you can find the best themes and latest designs. very nice. But you know that this is the right time to start your business with Google Media Website Development

    ReplyDelete
  2. Network as much as possible to learn play bazaar how to become a leader in the industry satta king you're in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Play Bazaar this is bery nice dhukla you wantb to ear vist indiya there is very diftrent an tasty dist available visit our site Satta King

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very good blog spot where you can find best knowledge
    about bhakti to know more please visit our website
    Religion Bhajan

    ReplyDelete
  5. There Play Bazaar are many people who could use help improving their credit rating. Each situation is different, and some people have worse credit scores than others. This information will give you some pointers Satta King that will start you on your way to good credit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Instead of blasting the air conditioner to keep cool in summer, wear clothes made from naturally cooling fabrics. Natural fibers like cotton can absorb moisture from your skin, helping you feel cooler. You can also try wearing lighter colors, they help you feel cooler, lessening your need for artificial cold air
    satta king

    ReplyDelete
  7. Profuse Play Bazaar sweat encourages a humid, warm environment. Yeast loves dampness and will flourish when it is available. You need to wear natural (preferably organic) fabrics when possible. This ensures that dampness doesn't congregate near your Satta King skin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you want your smile to really shine, brush your teeth regularly. Don't forget to floss too. This can help you to remove the plaque that is building up on your teeth. Make a point of brushing and flossing your teeth after each snack or meal. Satta King Play Bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very good blog spot where you can find best knowledge
    about bhakti to know more please visit our website ganga music

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's an old adage that says each one teach one. This is something you need to practice as a network marketer. After you've learned the ropes and understand how
    Satta King Internet Marketing Tips That Are Easy To Follow Play Bazaar to work the system to profit, you need to teach someone else to do the same. Take someone under your wing and show them how to effectively market.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Link up to search engine map sites. This is an important step to increasing visibility locally. Most search engine list their map results as the first to be seen, regardless of where that business lies on their search list ratings. Satta King Great Tips For Boosting Your Internet Marketing Success Play Bazaar People can also leave reviews on most of these, so make sure to give out positive experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Find a great mentor or coach. Satta King Great Tips For Boosting Your Internet Marketing Success Play Bazaar Working and learning from someone who is already experienced with network marketing can quickly put you on the right track to being a successful business leader. Model your own business after theirs, but make enough changes over time that it becomes your own unique model.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simple Steps To Help You Better Understand Facebook Marketing Play Bazaar Techniques To Help You Market Through Facebook Satta King

    ReplyDelete
  14. Take extra writing utensils with you to your tests. There is always a strong possibility that your pencil could break or that your pen could run out of ink while you're doing your test. Having a backup writing utensil can help you continue your test without being distracted by having to sharpen a pencil or refill a pen.play bazaar
    satta king

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can connect with like-minded crafters from all over the world with the help of the internet.satta king
    satta bazar

    ReplyDelete
  16. satta kingYou want to make sure that not only are you reading about the newest and most accurate internet marketing advice but also, that you double check any other information that you have picked up along the way. Use this article for some of the best internet marketing advice available.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am very interested in this article, hopefully I can share it again. Please follow me to Percetakan Nada Rawamangun

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope it is useful for all of us. Let's spread the goodness. Jasa Fotocopy Murah Jakarta

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for the article that was shared. Hope it is useful for all of us.
    Hope you can share again

    Hopefully useful is better

    ReplyDelete
  20. The above article is nice and interesting, thank you willing to share! Greetings success of admin Cetak Stiker Murah
    Percetakan Rawamangun
    Percetakan Jakarta
    Percetakan Murah
    Percetakan 24 Jam
    Percetakan Online
    wish you deign to visit my website, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for the article that was shared. The article is very useful for all Cetak Buku Panduan Umroh Murah Jakarta Onlie

    ReplyDelete
  22. your blog is unique, i really liked your blog, I want to share some news with you on world news. latestest news. just take some time and check my website as possible as, thank you Home Ministry Union Home Ministry Transactions Transactions of Rajiv Gandhi Rajiv Gandhi Foundation Union Home Ministry

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think: