Monday, December 27, 2010

Revision and Quadratic Equations

Oddly enough, I woke up this morning thinking about how much revising a manuscript reminds me of solving quadratic equations. You remember those, right?

ax(squared)+bx+c=0

You shift things around until you get a single x on one side of (=) and everything else on the other.

And yes, I am a math junkie. One of those crazy people who joined the math team in high school, just for the fun of it.  

This is how revision feels to me: adding, subtracting, dividing, multiplying, simplifying--whatever it takes to get to the essence of the story. Great fun!

What does revision remind you of? 

BTW, if anyone knows how to get the "squared" symbol with a Mac, please let me know. I wasted  half an hour trying to find out and then gave up (as you may have noticed).

WHAT I'M READING THIS WEEK: Safe Haven (N. Sparks) Matched (A. Condie) Sugar and Ice (K. Messner)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think: