Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Tech Time Savers

When it comes to technology, I am a brontosaurus. I refuse to give up my cute Mac Clamshell, I don't own a cell phone, nor have I ever had my own PDA (do people even call them that anymore?).

Thankfully, I'm married to a tech-head-gadget-guru. Without him, I probably wouldn't even know what a blog is, let alone have dozens that I read daily.

A month ago, the tech-head noticed his brontosaurus wife reading a book while waiting for her bookmarked blogs to load, one-by-one.

"I can fix that," he said. "There's a way to get them all in one place. Easier. Faster."

"Noooooooooo," my five-year-old dinosaur self cried. "I like doing it this way."

Tech-head rolled his eyes and left me alone.

This past weekend, after I read three chapters of Adam Rex' The True Meaning of Smekday while waiting for a particular site to load, I lowered my head and asked, "Can you still do that blog-reading-help-thing on my computer?"

Five minutes later, I had this miraculous one-click spot on my bookmark toolbar that pops up all the latest entries of all my favorite blogs!

It's almost 2010 and I have finally moved into the 21st century. Well, almost. I still don't like microwaves, refuse to have a cell phone, prefer handwritten cards in my mailbox, and read books printed on paper.

What about you? Any major advances in your technological lives? Also, does anyone know what we're calling the decade we've just survived? What will we call the next one? I've pondered this for the past twenty years...

WHAT I'M READING THIS WEEK: The True Meaning of Smekday (A.Rex)The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z (K. Messner) Secrets of Truth and Beauty (M. Frazer)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think: