Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Author Interview--Jennifer Bradbury

A few years back, I read this great book, SHIFT, and then learned the author of this fantastic debut novel would be visiting our local SCBWI network to critique our first pages. I was thrilled. 
 Gracious and kind, Jennifer Bradbury dispensed great advice and shortly thereafter, I submitted those pages and went on to receive a grant from SCBWI. Jennifer would never take credit, but I do believe she helped me make those pages shine.
Earlier this month, I had the pleasure of reading Jennifer's second novel, WRAPPED, a YA Historical mystery with a fun twist. I hope you will pick up and enjoy reading both of these delightful books. 

On Writing:
Favorite thing about writing a first draft:
I love when it starts to pick up that momentum, and I know that the plan I’ve made is taking me in the right directions. 
Best thing about writing for kids and/or teens:
Funny emails from readers. 
One word that describes your path to publication:
Textbook.
I wrote a couple of not so great books, but learned a ton from both experiences.  SHIFT was the third book I wrote and it turned out to be pretty good.  With it I got an agent and she sold it really quickly. 
If I could have two dream careers, I’d be an author and a:
Lonely Planet guidebook author.  J
On Life:
If I could snap my fingers and solve one of the problems here on earth, it would be:
I should probably think globally on this one, but right now, I’d be really, really happy if my son were potty trained . . .
Best thing about being a child:
Getting messy.
Worst thing about being a child:
Cleaning up.
Best thing about being a teenager:
I’m not sure there was much good about being a teenager for me. 
Worst thing about being a teenager:
See above.  J
Most memorable teen moment:
Any moment in my high school journalism class. 
My dream vacation:
We’re scheming about some bike touring adventures in random parts of the world when our kids get bigger.  And we’d love to live overseas again at some point.  I like vacations that let us sort of integrate into the part of the world where we’ve traveled.  But at the moment, I’d be very, very happy to go and snorkel in Hawaii with my kids and husband. 
In My Perfect World…
Everyone would get popcorn and curry at least once a week.
No one would be deprived of health care. 
Every child would have tons of books and someone to read them with.

3 comments:

  1. Nice interview! Short, sweet and to the point with great questions. :)

    Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Popcorn and curry! Who needs healthcare, sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I loved SHIFT and have recommended it to others!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think: