Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Author Interview: PJ Hoover, author of SOLSTICE

Book Trailer  


P. J. Hoover first fell in love with Greek mythology in sixth grade thanks to the book Mythology by Edith Hamilton. After a fifteen year bout as an electrical engineer designing computer chips for a living, P. J. decided to take her own stab at mythology and started writing books for kids and teens. P. J. is also a member of THE TEXAS SWEETHEARTS & SCOUNDRELS. When not writing, P. J. spends time with her husband and two kids and enjoys practicing Kung Fu, solving Rubik's cubes, and watching Star Trek. Her first novel for teens, Solstice, takes place in a Global Warming future and explores the parallel world of mythology beside our own. Her middle grade fantasy novels, The Emerald Tablet, The Navel of the World, and The Necropolis, chronicle the adventures of a boy who discovers he’s part of two feuding worlds hidden beneath the sea.
On Writing:
Favorite thing about writing a first draft:
The third chapter. The voice seems to really start developing and feeling natural around this point. Before that it’s sort of a struggle with backstory and a shaky voice. And at the third chapter, I still love the story.
Best thing about writing for kids and/or teens:
Fan mail. There is nothing better! Tell me you love my book, and I’ll have a smile on my face for the rest of the day.
Favorite word? 
OMG
One word that describes your path to publication:
Fascinating 
If I could have two dream careers, I’d be an author and an:
Electrical Engineer (which I really did used to be)
On Life:
One question I wish I had a definitive answer to:
How to get my next book published.
Best thing about being a child:
Not yet being at the age of reason. When kids hit the age of reason (maybe around 8 or 9), the fun starts to slip out of life little by little.
Worst thing about being a child:
Not yet being at the age of reason.
Best thing about being a teenager:
Hints of freedom. Pretending to be a grown up.
Worst thing about being a teenager:
Wanting to break away from the set of rules you have to live by but not being able to
Most memorable teen moment:
Seeing The Grateful Dead, Tom Petty, and Bob Dylan in concert at RFK stadium.
A quote I live by:
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." —J. R. R. Tolkien
My dream vacation:
Taking a month and hiking the Great Wall of China with my family
In My Perfect World…
Everyone would get positive reinforcement and encouragement at least once a week.
There would be an abundance of hugs and kisses.
No one would be deprived of a safe environment.
Every child would have a great role model who is always around.
No one would ever be abused or exploited.
Health care would be free for everyone.
Author Website 
  



7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for featuring me today! I'm thrilled to be here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Great interview: fun replies! ;)

    I'm a fellow campaigner, so nice to meet you.

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lol'd at the favourite word ;)
    Great interview.

    I'm your 100th follower! Woot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by. Happy you enjoyed the interview. And Lynda, I'll always remember you as my 100th ^+^!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love P.J.'s vision of a perfect world. If only...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview! I love your perfect world, PJ. Also, that's so true about the third chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview! I love China. The Great Wall would be a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think: