Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Author Interview--CJ Omololu

 


DIRTY LITTLE SECRETS was far and away my most memorable read  of 2010. Not only does the story still haunt me, but I also credit this book with helping me work out a difficult problem in my own YA novel. 

So imagine my surprise while I was out to dinner after the SCBWI conference in LA last month and found myself face-to-face with the author whose work I so admire. After a moment of fan-girling, I asked if she'd be willing to be interviewed here and guess what? Here she is. Thanks, CJ!


On Writing:

Favorite thing about writing a first draft: Favorite thing? Hmm. Typing ‘The End’. 

Best thing about writing for kids and/or teens: When I get feedback from a reader saying that one of my characters made them think about things in a different way.
If I could have two dream careers, I’d be an author and a: World class singer. I can’t sing at all though, so I’ll stick with what I don’t stink at. Is that a dangling something on the end of that sentence? That’s why I didn’t put down ‘copyeditor’.
On Life:
If I could snap my fingers and solve one of the problems here on earth, it would be: Climate change because it affects everything else. There’s actually a thread about that in my new books.
One question I wish I had a definitive answer to:  Am I messing up my kids?
Best thing about being a teenager: Everything is on the verge of change.           
Worst thing about being a teenager: Everything is on the verge of change.
Most memorable teen moment: First kiss. Frank Perry at the elementary school playground on the first day of summer. Sigh.
One thing I’d like to say to my teen self: You’ll stop growing soon.
A quote I live by: "Writing is like driving a car at night. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way."-- E.L. Doctorow. 
My  dream vacation: A huge road trip all over the country. (In a Prius – see answer above.)
In My Perfect World…
Everyone would get dinner out and a babysitter at least once a week.
There would be an abundance of time and Reese’s peanut butter cups.
No one would be deprived of coffee.
Every child would have a book they love.
No one would ever feel excluded.
Health care would be free for everyone.

CJ's next books: TRANSCENDENCE in June 2012 and the sequel in June of 2013.

www.cynjay.blogspot.com
www.cjomololu.com

13 comments:

  1. Great interview; love that Doctorow quote, so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good interview! Short, sweet, and jam-packed with info. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done. I like how it was so compact yet packed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally in for your perfect world...especially #1!

    Thanks, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! I particularly agreed with typing the words 'The End', I think that's one of the most satisfying moments I've ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved reading your interview! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dirty Little Secrets was indeed haunting--especially the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of the best interviews I've read! Interesting, entertaining, and fun. Thanks! What a lucky girl to run into one of your favorite authors and having the chance to interview her. You did a great job, Angelina.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's funny, I don't think I've ever typed "The End" in one of my novels. Must try that sometime!

    I loved "Dirty Little Secrets" - it was a compelling read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ^^ Andrea, I'm with you. Maybe it's because none of the stories I've completed are actually complete. Dang series.

    Great interview! She only forgot to mention the cheese at the end. *sigh* We'll educate the world eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your interview questions. They are so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Angelina for providing me with questions that make my answers sound smart. Great to see you in LA and hope to do it all again next year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice interview. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think: