Friday, September 23, 2011

The Most Interesting Thing: Tagged

  
"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are."
~e.e. cumming

I must not be grown up yet, because somehow I've gotten myself involved in a childhood game of tag. This week I've been tagged twice. Thanks Heather McCorckle over at Critique Sisters Corner and Barbara McDowell.  

This means I will now bore, I mean, thrill you, my faithful followers, with ten things you surely don't need to know about me. For everyone's sake, I'm keeping this sharing of personal information in the vein of writing. 

Here they are, in no particular order:

#1 I can't write metaphors or similes to save my life. Clichés? No problem. 

#2 While querying my first novel, I heard again and again that a similar novel had recently sold. This year ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS hit the shelves and well, need I say more?

#3 On April 17th, 2007, the day I made the conscious decision to write, I bought my first computer, a $100 vintage Mac Clamshell. Bertie survived baptism by cappuccino and chamomile tea, but last February, while I was away on vacation and under deadline, she breathed her last. May she RIP. ***sniffle***

#4 Most days I write in bed, but my best writing happens from the passenger seat on road trips. 

#5 While writing, I take frequent twitter breaks. (see above) Do you see the connection, or rather the lack of connection?

#6 True story. I once found myself without a book and resorted to reading the phone directory. In my defense, the thing had pithy little sayings and famous quotations on every other page! 

#7 My Persian cat snores, chews on his toenails, and insists on being within  inches of me whenever I'm writing. 

#8 My body can't handle stimulants, which means no caffeine or sugar. And yes, that means no chocolate. As a writer, this is catastrophic, so occasionally I cheat. Lately I've been allowing myself one gummy worm per writing session.  #livingontheedge

#9 I write six days a week, but Sundays are computer and technology free. Books are fair game, though. One more reason I do not own an eReader.

#10 Connecting with all you awesome writers makes me very, very happy. 

I don't know what the rules of this game are, but if you're one of those kids who likes to be tagged, let me know in the comments. Give me your name and blog address and I'll edit this post accordingly. Tag. You're all it!

15 comments:

  1. Oh you poor thing. No chocolate? And I would love to be able to write in bed but I get ink on the sheets :-) (That's true). I need a laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that your best writing happens on road trips...that was always my "dreaming up" time as a kid.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, no chocolate?? Is life worth living? I'm delighted to award you The Versatile Blogger Award:
    http://clairehennessy.blogspot.com/
    Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah P. and Claire--thanks for the chocolate sympathy. In the G. Zevin book I'm reading right now, chocolate and caffeine are banned substances. I can so relate.

    Sarah W--my favorite thing to do is edit a hard copy while on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Major bummer about your first book and "Anna and the French Kiss." Maybe you could cannibalize that ms for parts some day? I'm big into building Frankenstein monsters out of old manuscript limbs. A lot easier than grave digging.

    Happy weekend, Miss A!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be sure never to send you chocolate-covered espresso beans...but I will send you lots of good writerly vibes.

    I'm curious about your stance on the e-reader. I don't have one, but have considered it (with plenty of guilt). The real thing is irreplaceable and my first real love, but there are times...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The no chocolate thing must be hard. Yay for gummy worms!

    I liked Kristen's comment about the book. I'm contemplating a Frankenstein-ish project as well (cannibalizing parts of another manuscript, not writing about a monster and the guy who created him--if you were wondering).

    I like your list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about your computer! I get sentimental about my stuff, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading tidbits like this is great. Sorry about your PC. Love your cat. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this list! #livingontheedge made me smile. What is WRONG with my cat though? Shouldn't a real writer have a lapcat? Mine is sweet, but not cuddly. I keep hoping she'll grow into it.... and yes I understand being desperate enough for something to read that the phone directory works. Good source for names - too bad mine doesn't have quotes.

    Oh, and I name my computers too. Mine is Lizzie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kristen-Frenchenstein. I like it ^_^

    Mary Ann-Nothing againt eReaders, but I embrace all opportunities to unplug.

    Jenn--If you'd said #3 and #7 I'd be scared. LOL

    Dawn--Thanks. Hope the writing's going great.

    Jeigh--I'm glad I'm not the only one.

    Miranda-Glad you enjoyed.

    Margo--Give Lizzie a pat and be grateful your cat doesn't compete for lap space ^)^

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you read the phone book out of pure craving for something to read! It made me chuckle. Great list! And sad on the no-chocolate thing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't deal with stimulants either!! So nice to meet you, fellow Campaigner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cortney--Desperate times, desperate measures ^_^

    Sophia--Nice to meet you, too. Thanks for entering our contest!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think: