Saturday, September 24, 2011

Campaign Challenge #2--What the Imago?

Here's the challenge: 

Write a blog post in 200 words or less, excluding the title. It can be in any format, whether flash fiction, non-fiction, humorous blog musings, poem, etc. The blog post should:
include the word "imago" in the title
include the following 4 random words: "miasma," "lacuna," "oscitate," "synchronicity,"
If you want to give yourself an added challenge (optional and included in the word count), make reference to a mirror in your post.
For those who want an even greater challenge (optional), make your post 200 words EXACTLY!

Four random words? Mirror? 200 words exactly? Done! Like it? #80

What the Imago?

Felicity clutched the pencils and scribbled back and forth, dulling the lead so she’d be able to fill in the bubbles faster. Her stomach rumbled. Probably shouldn’t have had those extra shots in her vanilla soy latté.

Kids filed in like cows to the slaughter house. At least she hadn’t arrived late like in all those nightmares. Why did her whole future have to hang on one ridiculous test? 

“Don’t I know you?” Devon Fagan slid into the seat next to her and gave that cocky grin, the one that melted the hearts of every girl in her junior class. Sweet synchronicity!

Felicity’s stomach sounded another warning. She wished she’d checked her teeth in the mirror after those double-fudge brownies. Wiping her palms on her plaid skirt, she gurgled out some incoherent response.

Devon leaned over and ran a finger along her arm.  “Bet you know all the answers.”

She jerked her arm back.

The test administrator handed out the booklets and gave instructions. 

When the timer started, Felicity scanned the first page. What were these words? Miasma? Lacuna? Oscitate? What the Imago?

The pressure in her stomach mounted. Before she could excuse herself, it erupted.

All over Devon Fagan.

43 comments:

  1. Auuwww, Good heavens! The fact that the last bit was unexpected all-the-more made me feel like the poor Devon.
    I don't know if you've ever had the experience of getting -urck'd- on but its not good when you're already miles away from your house.
    nice entry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually groaned out loud when I read that. Awww geez. Poor Felicity. And poor Devon, even if he was being uh...unpleasant. *shudder*

    I think you did a nice job, the whole thing flows really nicely. The only thing I noticed was that you start with "What the Imoga" and then have "What the Imago" later on.

    Otherwise, I think you did a great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Ha ha, I suddenly decided to do the list backwards: far too many votes laid already up front of the queue.

    I'm glad I did. This aired kind of romantic until the last two lines: neat twist. ;)

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! And sounds like Devon got his "just desserts." (sorry, couldn't resist)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, great ending! I love it. Great use of the words. I can imagine this happening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! One of those moments you never outlive. I can't feel too much sympathy for Devon - he was a creep. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just my luck too! Ugh! Great scene! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this is fantastic. Made me laugh even though I have so much sympathy with the girl. And good for her! Sucked in Devon and your cheating ass!

    Really loved this. There should be more humourous ones!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor girl! I really felt for her. All that test pressure and being creeped on too. No wonder she lost it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angelina - Terrific job! The story layed out nicely and ended with a great twist. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So funny and enjoyable to read. Great job, Angelina!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOoh! I had a visual that made me wince in sympathy. Cleverly done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great twist at the end! I do feel bad for Felicity, though. Feeling sick, and then Devon comes along just for the answers. :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoyed this one. Light-hearted and fun - natural way of getting those words in too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL! What a clever way to tackle the challenge. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice bit of poetic justice! That's what he gets for being a total creep!

    Thanks for the entertainment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww poor Felicity. Excellent build up to that twist at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, Devon totally deserved that! Eugh, but very funny!
    Mine is #3.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Erghh, poor girl.

    I could relate to the extra shots causing tummy rumbles. Nice descriptive choice. =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh man! That would rank as one of the worst days ever!

    The Write Soil

    My entry is #50.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh man. Poor Felicity. It's just not her day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. SAT/ACTs were so painful! I'm pretty sure I was so stressed out during one of them that filled out the bubble sheet with patterns rather than mess with answering the actual questions.

    Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That made me laugh out loud! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's great. He deserved to be puked on. Mine is #29

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOL, great way to get in these dratted, incomprehensible words!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh dear...poor Devon! Surely he didn't deserve that just for being a junior slimeball? On second thought....

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, gross! Brilliantly crafted, Angelina! :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ha! This is brilliant, I love the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That was good. Love the ending. The lesson - Don't flirt for the answers. At least that is how I saw it. Made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awesome ending! Your buildup to that moment had just the right amount of momentum. The execution was perfect.

    Great job, Angelina! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great ending. I thoroughly enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Haha, I loved this. Especially the end--did not see that coming.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great job. I could picture this in my head. And I didn't expect that ending.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ewww! Great take on the challenge. I liked how you got the words in and I think everyone can relate to the nerves :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great twist at the end, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Test taking, yuck! I loved the way you used the challenging words with your entry, Angelina! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ha! That was gross but I laughed. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Awww! Poor girl. Sounds like something that would happen to me. I like how worked the words in.

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a horrible thing to happen--but you did a great job of writing it!!

    #189

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think: